At Monarch Center for Autism, we believe that every child deserves to have a memorable birthday party filled with fun, laughter, family and friends. We understand the challenges associated with hosting a party for a child on the autism spectrum, and are dedicated to minimizing your stress and maximizing your child's enjoyment by offering the following recipe for success:
- Parties take place at our state-of-the-art facility, located in Shaker Heights (22001 Fairmount Boulevard, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44118), which is designed to appease the sensory needs of children on the spectrum. A soft color palette, gentle up-lighting, extra sound proofing, odorless paint and carpet, special sensory, gross motor and art rooms, and an adapted playground, contribute to the calming environment.
We will customize a party to accommodate the strengths and interests of your child, and promote an engaging experience for all participants. Themes, including but not limited to sports, animals, TV/movie/cartoon characters, can be incorporated into any party. Party options include:
- Dance Party (for ages 13 and older): Select a theme, choose your own songs, serve as DJ (you or one of our staff), dance with your friends, and enjoy snacks
- Young Rembrandt: Choose one of our many creative art projects, facilitated by a certified art therapist, including puppet making, collage, decorating picture frames, painting, and more.
- Sing, Dance & Be Merry: Enjoy singing, dancing/creative movement, interactive stories, musical instruments, hands-on tactile experiences with sensory materials, and games involving parachutes, scarves, bean bags, and more.
- At Monarch we believe the most effective way to work with children on the autism spectrum is to combine explicit language instruction with visual supports. We will customize support for your child's party - including visual schedules, visual instructional materials, SmartBoard activities, and more.
- Professionally trained specialists from Monarch School will facilitate your child's party. Not only do they have tremendous experience working with children on the spectrum, but they are energetic, enthusiastic and compassionate.
- The number of facilitators (minimum of two) will vary depending on the number of participants.
- Parties can accommodate a maximum of 15 children. Prices vary depending on the number of participants.
- We encourage families to invite their children's classmates, neighborhood friends and family members (siblings, cousins).
- Each participant must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
- If desired, we will supply pizza, drinks (juice and water), and either birthday cake or cupcakes for the party. We are happy to provide Gluten Free Casein Free products upon request.
- We will create specialized goody bags for each participant with age-appropriate sensory items.
- Prices vary depending on the number of participants, the party theme, and the food selections.
- Prior to all birthday parties, we encourage you to participate in a phone and/or in-person consult to communicate your desires, thus promoting a more fun, inclusive and memorable party that meets your child's individual strengths and needs.